Aloe Vera is an unusual kind of vegetable, known more for its therapeutic value rather than its culinary uses. It has a slightly bitter taste and chewy texture. It is boiled with Methi Dana (Fenugreek seeds) to reduce its bitterness and then rinsed thoroughly. The finished dish is almost like a pickle and eaten also in like amounts - sparingly. Its best combination is with Makki ki Roti (Maize flour bread) or with Rice and Lentils.
1. Wash the Aloe Vera leaf and trim the sides
2. Cut it into small even pieces
3. Bring water to a boil, add turmeric, methi seeds and the cook the aloe vera dices for 7-8 mins.
4. Drain, rinse thoroughly twice and keep aside.
5. In a pan heat mustard oil, add cumin seeds, and when they splutter add turmeric, cayenne and coriander powder. Saute for 15 seconds.
6. Add hot peppers and chopped ginger and saute another 15 seconds.
7. Add Boiled Aloe Vera pieces, salt and cook over slow heat for 5 minutes.
8. Add beaten yogurt, fennel powder and amchoor.
9.Cook till oil separates and there is no liquid left. You may add a pinch of sugar.